|MARIA M. BAYLIAK (CV_Eng_Bayliak_2022)
Professor, Ph.D., D.Sc., Head of Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology
MARIA M. BAYLIAK
Professor, Ph.D., D.Sc., Head of Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University (PNU)
| SCOPUS https://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.uri?authorId=23494636700, h-13
WEB OF SCIENCE AUTHOR PROFILE https://www.webofscience.com/wos/author/record/1072482
Google Scholar https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=ErcNDtkAAAAJ&hl=uk&oi=ao
Work address: Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University, 57 Shevchenko Str., Ivano-Frankivsk, 76018, Ukraine.
E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University
Ukrainian, single, 1981
Languages: Ukrainian, Russian, English (professional working proficiency), German (reading and translation with dictionary)
Hobbies: embroidering, travelling, reading adventure and detective stories
2014-2017 Doctorate student, Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, PNU. Thesis title: “Enhancement of the adaptive capacity of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae and the fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster by using plant extracts, keto acids, and arginine”, Thesis for a scientific degree of doctor of biological sciences by specialty “Biochemistry”, defended at Yurij Fed’kovych Chernivtsi National University, Ukraine (December, 2019). Supervisor: Prof. Volodymyr Lushchak, Head of Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, PNU.
2003-2006 Postgraduate student, Department of Biochemistry, PNU. PhD thesis in Biochemistry: “Peculiarities of antioxidant defense of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae at the different growth phases”, defended at Yurij Fed’kovych Chernivtsi National University, Ukraine (October, 2007). Supervisor: Prof. Volodymyr Lushchak, Head of Department of Biochemistry, PNU.
1998-2003 Student, Department of Biology, PNU. Sc. Thesis (in Biology): “Biomorphological peculiarities of Convallaria majalis in Precarpathian region”, May 2002 – May 2003. Supervisor: Dr. Nadija V. Shums’ka, Department of Biology, PNU.
IV. TEACHING EXPERIENCE
2020-present Professor, Biochemistry and Biotechnology Dept., PNU. Theoretical and practical courses: “Gene expression”, “Biologically active natural compounds”, ”Virology’, “Microbiology”, “Yeast biochemistry”, “Practicum on Biochemisty”.
2008-2020 Associate Professor, Biochemistry and Biotechnology Dept., PNU. Theoretical and practical courses: “Gene expression”, “Biologically active natural compounds”, ”Virology’, “Microbiology”, “Yeast biochemistry”, “Practicum on Biochemisty”.
2006-2008 Assistant of Professor, Biochemistry Dept., PNU. Theoretical and practical courses: “Biochemistry” (practice), “Microbiology” (practice), “Virology” ((seminars), “Molecular Biology” (practice), “Hydrobiology” (lectures & practice), “Ichthyology” (lectures & practice).
V. PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE / TRAINING / SCHOLARSHIPS/GRANTS:
September-October 2022 online course “Google Digital Tools for Education” – 45 hours (1.5 ECTS credits)
January 2022 – present Researcher in the project funded by Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine: “Correction of metabolic syndrome by sulforaphane-enriched preparations of broccoli sprouts” (#0122U000894). Project leader – Prof. Volodymyr Lushchak.
November 2020 – present – implementation of the project funded by National Research Fund of Ukraine “Intermediates of phenylpropanoid pathway as substances to prolong lifespan and healthspan» (#2020.02/0118, 2020-2021) (project leader).
May, 2021 Winner of the Small Research Grant Application (2021) program from the US-Ukraine Foundation Biotech Initiative
June 6-30, 2019 Attendance at DAAD Summer School “Perspectives in Biomedicine with a Focus on Cancer Immunotherapy”, PNU, Ivano-Frankivsk, Ukraine.
February 11-15, 2019 Training at PolLASA courses on breeding, maintenance, welfare and use of laboratory animals (Polish Laboratory Animals Science Association, Warsaw, Poland)
01/2018-12/2020 Researcher in the project funded by Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine: “Development of new non-medicinal methods for correction of metabolic syndrome: normalization of physiological and biochemical indices in animals” (#0118U003477). Project leader – Prof. V. Lushchak.
04/2018-02/2020 Post-doc in the project “Cellular mechanisms of healthy brain ageing under caloric restriction” (#90233) in the framework “Trilateral Partnerships – Cooperation Projects between Scholars and Scientists from Ukraine, Russia and Germany” funded by Volkswagenstiftung, German. (Project leader of Ukrainian team– Prof. V. Lushchak).
May 25 – June 4, 2011 Attendance at IV Summer School “Molecular microbiology and biotechnology”, Odesa I.I. Mechnykov National University, Odesa, Ukraine.
June 1-30, 2009 Scholarship from Queen Jadwiga Fund was received for the realization of research project “Budding yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae as a model to study role of oxidative stress in ageing”. The experimental work was done at the Faculty of Biochemistry, Biophysics and Biotechnology of Jagiellonian University (Krakow, Poland).
01/2009-12/2011 Researcher in the project funded by Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine: “Regulation of free radical processes under response of living organisms to harmful environmental factors” (#0109U001412). Project leader – Prof. V. Lushchak.
05/2008-12/2008 Researcher in the project funded by the State Fund for Fundamental Research of Ukraine (SFSF): “Adaptation of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae to free radicals” (05.2008-06.2009, #0108U006932). Project leader – Prof. V. Lushchak.
10/2006-12/2006, 6/2007-12/2007 Researcher in projects funded by the SFSF: “Yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae as a model to study the effects of carbonate radical on eukaryotic cells”, “Adaptive response of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae to carbonic radical effect” (#0107U009804); “Toxicity of iron and copper ions in the presence of carbonates” (#0107U009805). Project leader – Prof. V. Lushchak.
VI. LABORATORY METHODS (PROFICIENCY):
Microbiological methods: light microscopy, cultivation of microorganisms, isolation of pure microbial cultures, study of physiological and biochemical properties of microorganisms (yeast), determination of life span of yeast cells.
Physiological methods: fruit fly D. melanogaster maintaining and lifespan assay; fruit fly age-related functional declines (fecundity, mobility, sensitivity to stresses, etc.), behavior reactions in mice.
Biochemical methods: preparation of tissue and cell extracts, enzyme activities assays, measurement of contents of major metabolites; protein and DNA electrophoresis; western blot; classical PCR and RT-PCR; classical hystology; blood chemistry and blood enzymes’ tests; urine analysis; ELISA assay; spectrophotometric determination of antioxidant properties of plant compounds and major markers of oxidative stress, and fluorometrical assays of metabolites, reactive oxygen species
VII. SCIENTIFIC INTERESTS AND CURRENT RESEARCH WORK
– Biochemical and molecular aspects of adaptation of microorganisms to environmental conditions, in particular to oxidative stress
– Aging and anti-aging approaches
– Oxidative stress and antioxidants
– Antioxidant, adaptogenic, antiglycemic, stress-protective, neuroprotective, and geroprotective effects and detoxifying properties of natural products (alpha-ketoglutarate, arginine, quercetin, plant extracts, etc.) on models fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster and mice
– Metabolic syndrome and obesity prevention and treatment (on fruit fly and mice)
– Brain aging
– Functions of Nrf2 та Keap1 proteins
VIII. MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES:
Ukrainian Society for Cell Biology
Ukrainian Biochemical Society
Society of Microbiologists of Ukraine
2022 – Diploma of mayor of Ivano-Frankivsk on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of the Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology
2021 – Order of Princess Olga of the third grade (Ukrainian state award)
2020 – Diploma of PNU for high professionalism, conscientious work and on the occasion of celebrating the 80th anniversary of the university
2018 – Laureate of Ukrainian L’Oréal-UNESCO program “For women in science 2018”
2017 – Diploma of Ivano-Frankivsk state administration and head of district council, Ivano-Frankivsk, Ukraine
2016 – Diploma of PNU for significant achievements in research work
X. Other activities
Academic Editor in the Journal “Biomed Research International” (since 2020)
Editor of Journal of Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian University (“Series of Natural and Mathematical Sciences”)
Jury member of National Biological and Ecological Olympiads
Jury member of Contest of research works of members of Junior Academy of Sciences
Jury member of National Tournament for Young Biologists
Member of Organizing Committee and Lecturer at Carpathian Summer School in Biochemistry held annually at Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, PNU
Member of Organizing Committee and Lecturer at Autumn School for Young Biochemists held annually at Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, PNU.
Reviewer in the Journals (periodically):
Annals of Microbiology, Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology, Biology open, Brazilian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Drug and Chemical Toxicology, FASEB Journal, Industrial Crops and Products, Journal of Experimental Biology, Journal of Food Biochemistry, Neurotoxicity Research, Oxidative medicine and cell longevity, PLOS ONE, Preparative Biochemistry and Biotechnology, The Journal of Basic and Applied Zoology, Journal of Pure and Applied Microbiology, Ageing and Disease, Antonie van Leeuwenhoek, Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, Biochemistry and Biophysics Reports, BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Molecular & Cellular Toxicology, Pharmaceutical Biology, National Academy Science Letters, Journal of insect Physiology, Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology, Critical Reviews in Biotechnology, Experimental Biology and Medicine, Journal of Microbiology, Biotechnology and Food Sciences, BBA – General Subjects, Ecotoxicology, Scientific Reports, Heliyon, Mutation Research, Natural Product Research, Molecullar and Cellular Biochemistry, Lipids, Medical Oncology, Frontiers in Pharmacology.
Review of research project
SPS Research Open call 2020 (France)
Papers: monograph chapters – 3, articles – 53. Abstracts – 42. h-index in the SCOPUS database – 15. Articles in journals Q1 and Q2 – 21 for the last 10 years (25 in total).
- Bayliak M.M., Abrat O.B. Role of Nrf2 in Oxidative and Inflammatory Processes in Obesity and Metabolic Diseases. In: Deng H. (eds) Nrf2 and its Modulation in Inflammation. Progress in Inflammation Research, vol 85. Springer, Cham. P. 153-187.
- Stambulska U.Y., Bayliak M.M. Legume-Rhizobium Symbiosis: Secondary Metabolites, Free Radical Processes, and Effects of Heavy Metals. In: Merillon JM., Ramawat K. (eds) Co-Evolution of Secondary Metabolites. Reference Series in Phytochemistry. Springer, Cham, 2020. P. 291-322. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-96397-6_43
- Semchyshyn H.M., Bayliak M.M., Lushshak V.I. Starvation in yeast: biochemical aspects. In: Biology of starvation in human and other organisms / Edited by T.C. Merkin. Nova Science Publishers, , 2011. Chapter 2. P. 103-150) (SCOPUS)
Experimental articles published in scientific journals
- Bayliak M. M., Vatashchuk M. V., Gospodaryov D. V., Hurza V. V., Demianchuk O. I., Ivanochko M. V., Burdyliuk N. I., Storey K. B., Lushchak O., Lushchak V. I. High fat high fructose diet induces mild oxidative stress and reorganizes intermediary metabolism in male mouse liver: Alpha-ketoglutarate effects. Biochimica et biophysica acta. General subjects. 2022. Vol. 1866(12), 130226. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbagen.2022.130226
- Semaniuk U. V., Gospodaryov D. V., Strilbytska O. M., Kucharska A. Z., Sokół-Łętowska A., Burdyliuk N. I., Storey K. B., Bayliak M. M., Lushchak O. Chili pepper extends lifespan in a concentration-dependent manner and confers cold resistance on Drosophila melanogaster cohorts by influencing specific metabolic pathways. Food & function. Vol. 13(15). P. 8313–8328. https://doi.org/10.1039/d2fo00930g
- Bayliak M.M., Sorochynska O.M., Kuzniak O.V., Drohomyretska I.Z., Klonovskyi A.Y., Hrushchenko A.O., Vatashchuk M.V., Mosiichuk N.M., Storey K.B., Garaschuk O., Lushchak V.I. High stability of blood parameters during mouse lifespan: sex-specific effects of every-other-day fasting. Biogerontology. 2022. Vol. 23(5). P. 559–570. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10522-022-09982-x
- Bayliak M.M., Demianchuk O.I., Gospodaryov D.V., Balatskyi V.A., Lushchak V.I. Specific and combined effects of dietary ethanol and arginine on Drosophila melanogaster. Drug Chem. Toxicol. 2022. Vol. 28. P. 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1080/01480545.2022.2105863
- Vatashchuk M. V., Bayliak M. M., Hurza V. V., Storey K. B., Lushchak, V. I. Metabolic syndrome: lessons from rodent and Drosophila Models. BioMed research international. 2022. Vol. 2022, 5850507. https://doi.org/10.1155/2022/5850507
- Kuzniak, O. V., Sorochynska, O. M., Bayliak, M. M., Klonovskyi, A. Y., Vasylyk, Y. V., Semchyshyn, H. M., Storey, K. B., Garaschuk, O., & Lushchak, V. I. (2022). Feeding to satiation induces mild oxidative/carbonyl stress in the brain of young mice. EXCLI Journal, 21, 77-92. https://doi.org/10.17179/excli2021-4347
- Bayliak, M. M., Gospodaryov, D. V., & Lushchak, V. I. (2022). Mimicking caloric restriction for anti-aging effects: the pro-oxidant role of alpha-ketoglutarate. Current Opinion in Toxicology, 30, 100339. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cotox.2022.02.012
- Hurza V., Vatashchuk M. Bayliak M. Pathogenesis and Biomarkers of Metabolic Syndrome. Journal of Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University. 2021. 8, 4 (Jan. 2022). P. 7-19. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15330/jpnu.8.4.7-19.
- Peteliuk V., Rybchuk L., Bayliak M., Storey K.B., Lushchak O. (2021). Natural sweetener Stevia rebaudiana: Functionalities, health benefits and potential risks. EXCLI Journal, 20, 1412-1430. https://doi.org/10.17179/excli2021-4211
- Bayliak M., Lushchak, V.I. (2021) Pleiotropic effects of alpha-ketoglutarate as a potential anti-ageing agent. Ageing Res. Rev. 66, 101237. (SCOPUS) Q1 Aging/Biochemistry
- Bayliak M.M., Sorochynska O.M., Kuzniak O.V., Gospodaryov D.V., Demianchuk O.I., Vasylyk Y.V., Mosiichuk N.M., Storey K.B., Garaschuk O., Lushchak V.I. (2021) Middle age as a turning point in mouse cerebral cortex energy and redox metabolism: Modulation by every-other-day fasting. Exp. Gerontol. 145, 111182.
- Bayliak M.M., Dmytriv T.R., Melnychuk A.V., Strilets N.V., Storey K.B., Lushchak V.I. (2021). Chamomile as a potential remedy for obesity and metabolic syndrome. EXCLI Journal. 20, 1261-1286.
- Bayliak M.M., Mosiichuk N.M., Sorochynska O.M., Kuzniak O.V., Sishchuk L.O., Hrushchenko A.O., Semchuk A.O., Pryimak T.V., Vasylyk Y.V., Gospodaryov D.V., Storey K.B., Garaschuk O., Lushchak V.I. (2021) Middle aged turn point in parameters of oxidative stress and glucose catabolism in mouse cerebellum during lifespan: minor effects of every-other-day fasting. Biogerontology. 22, 315-328.
- Sorochynska O.M., Kuzniak O.V., Bayliak M.M., Vasylyk Y.V., Storey K.B., Lushchak V.I. (2021). Every-other-day fasting reduces glycolytic capability in the skeletal muscle of young mice. Biologia, 76, 1627–1634. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00424-021-02529-y
- Bayliak M.M. Metabolic syndrome, obesity and Drosophila // Journal of Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University. 2020. Vol. 7, No. 4. P. 9-14. doi: 10.15330/jpnu.7.4.7-18
- Bayliak M.M., Demianchuk O.I., Gospodaryov D.V., Abrat O.B., Lylyk M.P., Storey K., Lushchak V.I. (2020) Mutations in genes cnc or dKeap1 modulate stress resistance and metabolic processes in Drosophila melanogaster. Biochem. Physiol. A Mol. Integr. Physiol. 248, 110746.
- Sorochynska O.M., Bayliak M.M., Gospodaryov D.V., Vasylyk Y.V., Kuzniak O.V., Pankiv T.M., Garaschuk O., Storey K.B. and Lushchak V.I. Every-other-day feeding decreases glycolytic and mitochondrial energy-producing potentials in the brain and liver of young mice. Front. Physiol. 2019. 10:1432. doi: 10.3389/fphys.2019.01432
- Sorochynska O.M., Bayliak M.M., Vasylyk Y.V., Kuzniak O.V., Drohomyretska I.Z., Klonovskyi A.Y., Storey J.M., Storey K.B., Lushchak V.I. Intermittent fasting causes metabolic stress and leucopenia in young mice. Ukr. Biochem. J. 2019. 91(1), 53-64.
- Bayliak M.M., Abrat O.B., Storey J.M., Storey K.B., Lushchak V.I. Interplay between diet induced obesity and oxidative stress: Comparison between Drosophila and mammals. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part A: Molecular & Integrative Physiology. 2019. 228, 18-12.
- Bayliak M.M., Lylyk M.P., Gospodaryov D.V., Kotsyubynsky V.O., Butenko N.V., Storey K.B., Lushchak V.I. Protective effects of alpha-ketoglutarate against aluminum toxicity in Drosophila melanogaster. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part C: Toxicology & Pharmacology. 2019. 217, 41-53.
- Lylyk M.P., Bayliak M.M., Shmihel H.V., Storey J.M., Storey K.B., Lushchak V.I. Effects of alpha-ketoglutarate on lifespan and functional aging of Drosophila melanogaster Ukr. Biochem. J. 2018. 90 (6), 49-61.
- Stambulska U., Bayliak M.M., Lushchak V.I. Chromium(VI) toxicity in legume plants: modulation effects of rhizobial symbiosis. BioMed Research International. 2018, 2018, Article ID 8031213, 13 pages. doi:10.1155/2018/8031213
- Bayliak M.M., Lylyk M.P., Maniukh O.V., Storey J.M., Storey K.B., Lushchak V.I. Dietary L-arginine accelerates pupation and promotes high protein levels but induces oxidative stress and reduces fecundity and lifespan in Drosophila melanogaster. J. Comp. Physiol. B. 188(1), 37-55.
- Bayliak MМ, Hrynkiv OV, Knyhynytska RV, Lushchak VI. Alpha-ketoglutarate enhances freeze–thaw tolerance and prevents carbohydrate‑induced cell death of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Arch. Microbiol. 200(1), 33-46.
- Bayliak M.M., Burdyliuk N.I., Lushchak V.I. Growth on alpha-ketoglutarate increases oxidative stress resistance in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J. Microbiol. 2017. (2017), Article ID 5792192, 9 pages, doi: 10.1155/2017/5792192
- Bayliak M.M., Lylyk P., Sorochynska O.M. Dietary alpha-ketoglutarate partially prevents age-related decline in locomotor activity and cold tolerance in Drosophila melanogaster. Biologia. 2017. 72(4), 458-467.
- Bayliak M.M., Lylyk M.P., Shmihel H.V., Sorochynska O.M., Semchyshyn O.I., Storey J.M., Storey K.B., Lushchak V.I. Dietary alpha-ketoglutarate promotes higher protein and lower triacylglyceride levels and induces oxidative stress in larvae and young adults but not in middle-aged Drosophila melanogaster. Biochem. Physiol. Part A: Mol. Integr. Physiol. 2017. 204, 23-33.
- Lylyk M., Sorochynska O., Maniuch O., Bayliak M. Age-related physiological and biochemical changes Drosophila grown on alpha-ketoglutarate [in Ukrainian]. Bulletin of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv. Series: Problems of Physiological Functions Regulation. 2017. 22(1), 25-31
- Bayliak M, Burdyliuk N. Effects of long-term cultivation on medium with alpha-ketoglutarate supplementation on metabolic processes of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Aging Res. 2017 (2017) Article ID 8754879, 12 pages, doi: 10.1155/2017/8754879
- Lylyk M.P, Holovchak M.V., Shmihel H.V., BayliakM. Influence of alpha-ketoglutarate on Drosophila melanogaster resistance to different toxicants [in Ukrainian]. Ukrainian journal of medicine, biology and sport. 2017, 4 (6), 180-185.
- Lylyk М., Sorochynska О.М., Maniukh О.V., Bayliak М.М. Gender differences of amino acid metabolism in Drosophila melanogaster on alpha-ketoglutarate-supplemented food [in Ukrainian]. Bulletin of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv. Series: Problems of Physiological Functions Regulation. 21(2), 31-36.
- Bayliak M.M., Burdyliuk N. I., Lushchak V.I., 2016. Effects of pH on antioxidant and prooxidant properties of common medicinal herbs. Open Life Sci. 11, 298–307.
- Bayliak M.M., 2016. Effects of bicarbonate and alpha-ketoglutarate on sensitivity of yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae to hydrogen peroxide and iron ions. Studia biologica. 10(2), 53-62.
- Bayliak M.M., Shmihel H.V., Lylyk M.P., Storey K.B., Lushchak V.I., 2016. Alpha-ketoglutarate reduces ethanol toxicity in Drosophila melanogaster by enhancing alcohol dehydrogenase activity and antioxidant capacity. Alcohol. 55, 23-33.
- Bayliak M.M., Lylyk M.P., Shmihel H.V., Sorochynska O.M., Manyukh O.V., Pierzynowski S. G., Lushchak V.I., 2016. Dietary alpha-ketoglutarate increases cold tolerance in Drosophila melanogaster and enhances protein pool and antioxidant defense in sex-specific manner. J. Therm. Biol. 60, 1-11.
- Bayliak M.M., Burdylyuk N. I., Lushchak V.I., 2016. Quercetin increases stress resistance in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae not only as an antioxidant. Ann. Microbiol. 66(2), 569-576. (
- Bayliak M., Lylyk M.P., Vytvytska O.M., Lushchak V.I., 2016. Assessment of antioxidant properties of alpha-keto acids in vitro and in vivo. Eur. Food Res. Technol. 242 (2), 179-188.
- Lylyk М.P., Bayliak M.M., Possible protective mechanisms of alpha-ketoglutarate on fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster canton s under exposure to different stressors [in Ukrainian]. Journal “Scientific Herald of Chernivtsy University. Biology (Biological Systems)”. 7(1), 119-124.
- Bayliak M.M., Shmihel H.V., Lylyk M.P., Vytvytska O.M., Storey J.M., Storey K.B., Lushchak V.I., 2015. Alpha-ketoglutarate attenuates toxic effects of sodium nitroprusside and hydrogen peroxide in Drosophila melanogaster. Environ. Toxicol. Pharmacol. 40(2), 650-659.
- Bayliak M., Burdylyuk N., 2015. 2,4-Dichlorphenoxicacetic acid at low concentrations enhances reproductive ability and oxidative stress resistance of yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Journal of Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University, 2(1), 93-99.
- Shmihel H., Lylyk M., Bayliak M., 2014. Effect of alpha-ketoglutarate on pupation, feeding intensity and levels of some metabolites in larvae Drosophila melanogaster [in Ukrainian]. Visnyk of the Lviv University. Series Biology. 66, 91-99.
- Struminska О.О., Baylyak М.М., Kurta S.А., 2014. Microbiological properties of natural film-forming materials [in Ukrainian]. Eastern-Еuropean journal of enterprise technologies. 2(681), 34-40.
- Bayliak M., Burdyliuk N.I., Izers’ka L.I., Lushchak V.I., 2014. Concentration-dependent effects of Rhodiola rosea on long-term survival and stress resistance of yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae: the involvement of YAP 1 and MSN2/4 regulatory proteins. Dose-Response. 1, 93-109. (SCOPUS)
- Semchyshyn H.M., Miedzobrodzki J., Bayliak M., Lozinska L.M., Homza B.V., 2014. Fructose compared with glucose is more a potent glycoxidation agent in vitro, but not under carbohydrate-induced stress in vivo: potential role of antioxidant and antiglycation enzymes. Carbohydr. Res. 384, 61-69.
- Luchkiv N.U., Burdylyuk N.I., Izers’ka L.I., Bayliak M.M., 2013. Evaluation of antioxidant properties of Rhodiola rosea and Centaurea carpatica porc., collected in Ukrainian Carpathians [in Ukrainian]. Galician Medical Journal. 20(1), 55-57.
- Bayliak M.M., Lushchak V.I., 2011. The golden root, Rhodiola rosea, prolongs lifespan but decreases oxidative stress resistance in yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Phytomedicine. 18(14), 1262-1268.
- Lushchak O.V., Bayliak M.M., Korobova O.V, Levine R.L., Lushchak V.I., 2009. Buffer modulation of menadione-induced oxidative stress in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Redox rep. 14(5), 214-220.
- Bayliak М., Gospodaryov D., Semchyshyn Н., Lushchak V., 2008. Inhibition of catalase by aminotriazole in vivo results in reduction of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase activity in Saccharomyces cerevisiae cells [in Russian and in English]. Biochemistry (Moscow). 73(4), 515-523.
- Bayliak М.М., Semchyshyn Н.M., Lushchak V.I., 2007. Possible accumulation of non-active molecules of catalase and superoxide dismutase in cerevisiae cells under hydrogen peroxide induced stress. Central European Journal of Biology. 2(3), 326-336. (SCOPUS) Q1 Agricultural and Biological Sciences (miscellaneous)
- Bayliak, Semchyshyn H., Lushchak V., 2006. Effect of hydrogen peroxide on antioxidant enzyme activities in Saccharomyces cerevisiae is strain-specific [in Russian and in English]. Biochemistry (Moscow). 71(9), 1013-1020.
- Baylyak M.M., Semchyshyn H.M., Lushchak V.I., 2006. Role of catalase and superoxide dismutase in yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae response to hydrogen peroxide in exponential phase [in Ukrainian]. Ukr. Biochem. J. 78(2), 79-85.
- Baylyak M.M., Abrat O.B., Semchyshyn H.M., Lushchak V.I., 2005. Survival and antioxidant defence of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae under starvation and oxidative stress [in Ukrainian]. Ukr. Biochem. J. 77(4), 93-98.
- Gospodaryov D.V., Bailyak M.M., Lushchak V.I., 2005. Free radical inactivation of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase in Saccharomyces cerevisiae in vitro [in Ukrainian]. Ukr. Biochem. J. 77(1), P. 58-64.
Main conference theses
- Tsiumpala S., Vatashchuk M., Hurza V., Ivanochko M., Demianchuk O., Starchevska K., Bayliak M., Lushchak V. Modulating effects of ferulic acid and alpha-ketoglutarate on cafeteria diet-induced oxidative stress in the blood plasma and liver of mice // Biology, Biotechnology, Biomedicine: Materials of Young Scientists International Conference 11–12 July 2022. Ed. board: M. B. Galkin, N. V. Limanska, V. O. Ivanytsia. Odesa: «Odesa I. I. Mechnikov National University», 2022. P. 99-104.
- Bayliak M. Geroprotective properties of alpha-ketoglutarate. In: Medical and clinical chemisrty, Special Issue “Abstracts of XII Ukrainian Biochemical Congress (September 30-Oktober , 2019, Ternopil, Ukraine). Vpl. 23, N 3. P. 60.
- Lushchak V.I., Bailiak M.M., Gospodaryov D.V., Sorochynska O.M., Kuzniak O.V., Vasylyk Yu.V. Beneficial effects of intermittent fasting at Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases: potential contribution from understanding of molecular mechanisms // 14th International Conference on Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s Diseases (March 26-31, 2019, Lisbon, Portugal). Program. P. 239. Poster N 698
- Lushchak V.I., Bailiak M.M., Gospodaryov D.V., Garashchuk O., Vasylyk Yu.V., Sorochynska O.M., Kuzniak O.V. Intermittent fasting decreases activity of key glycolytic enzymes but partially protects operation of mitochondria in aging mouse brain // 14th International Conference on Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s Diseases (March 26-31, 2019, Lisbon, Portugal). P. 239. . Poster N 699
- Mosiichuk N.M., Bailiak M.M., Gospodaryov D.V., Vasylyk Yu.V., Sorochynska O.M., Kuzniak O.V., Garaschuk O., Lushchak V.I. Healthy brain aging: interplay between glucose metabolism and reactive oxygen species. Dresden conference. 2019.
- Mosiichuk N., Bailiak M., Sorochynska O., Kuzniak O., Vasylyk Yu., Garaschuk O., Lushchak V. Caloric restriction decreases intensity of oxidative stress in the liver of young mice // Paris Redox 2019 – the 21st International Conference on Oxidative Stress Reduction, Redox Homeostasis and Antioxidants (June 21-22, 2019, Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France). Abstracts Book. P. 123
- Bayliak M., Mosiichuk N., Sorochynska O., Kuzniak O., Vasylyk Yu., Garaschuk O., Lushchak V. Cerebral cortex undergoes stronger oxidative stress during aging than cerebellum // Paris Redox 2019 – the 21st International Conference on Oxidative Stress Reduction, Redox Homeostasis and Antioxidants (June 21-22, 2019, Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France). Abstracts Book. P. 82
- Lushchak V., Bailiak M., Mosiichuk N., Gospodaryov D., Sorochynska O., Kuzniak O., Vasylyk Yu., Garaschuk O. Possible Mechanisms Counteracting Age-Related Intensification Of Oxidative Stress In The Mouse Brain // Paris Redox 2019 – the 21st International Conference on Oxidative Stress Reduction, Redox Homeostasis and Antioxidants (June 21-22, 2019, Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France). Abstracts Book. P. 37.
- Gospodaryov D., Lylyk M., Demianchuk O., Sitko M., Yurchak T., Bayliak M. Deficiency in Nrf2 and Keap1 delays development and modulates metabolic processes in Drosophila melanogaster // 26th European Drosophila Research Conference (5th-8th September 2019, EPFL, Switzerland). Program & Abstract Book. P. 196-197.
- Holovchak M., Shmihel H., Bayliak M. Dietary alpha-ketoglutarate alleviates toxic effects of aluminum on fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster development // V International Conference «Drosophila in the Experimental Genetics and Biology» (Kyiv, 2016, May 12-14). P. 13.
- Lylyk M., Shmihel H., Kozachok O., Bayliak M. Alpha-ketoglutarate modifies toxic action of sodium nitroprusside and ethanol on Drosophila melanogaster // Ukr. Biochem. J. Vol. 86, N 5, supplement 2 “Materials of XI Ukrainian Biochemical congress (Kyiv, October 6-10, 2014)”. P. 249-250.
- Bayliak M., Hryshuk H., Lushchak V. Possible mechanisms of concentration-dependent effects of Rhodiola rosea on long-term survival and stress resistance of yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae // Ukr. Biochem. J. Vol. 86, N 5, supplement 1 “Materials of XI Ukrainian Biochemical congress (Kyiv, October 6-10, 2014)”. P. 126-127.
- Bayliak M., Izers’ka L. Biochemical percularities of Saccharomyces cerevisiae grown with alpha-ketoglutarate / Abstracts of 13th congress of Society of Microbiologists of Ukraine (Jalta, October, 1-6, 2013). Jalta, 2013. P. 64.
- Hryshuk Кh., Burdyliuk N., Izers’ka L., Bayliak M. Low concentrations of Rhodiola rosea aqueous extract demonstrate stress-protective and geroprotective effects on yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae // International Young scientists conference [«Biodiversity. Ecology. Adaptation. Evolution»], (Odesa, May 13-17, 2013). Odesa: Pechatniy dom, 2013. P. 250-251.
- Pavlykivskyj I., Burdyliuk N., Izers’ka L., Bayliak M. Influence of Rhodiola rosea and quercetin on stress resistance of yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae // Materials of V International Young Scientists conference [Biodiversity. Ecology. Adaptation. Evolution.], (Odesa, June 13-17, 2011). Odesa: Pechatniy dom, 2011. P. 227-228.
- Bayliak М.М., Lushchak V.I. Lifespan and oxidative stress resistance of yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae under treatment with Rhodiola rosea extract // Ukr. Biochem. J. 2010. Vol. 82, N 4 (special issue “Materials of the 10th Ukranian Biochemical Congress). P. 228-229.
- Semchyshyn Н., Bayliak М., Abrat O., Krzeszowiec W., Lushchak V. Baker’s yeast as a model to study molecular mechanisms of cell response to environmental stress // Free radical research: Abstracts of the Society for SFRR – Europe Meeting 2009, (Rome, August 26-29, 2009). Vol. 43, Supplement 1. P. S80.
- Bayliak M., Lushchak V. Extracts of Rhodiola rosea decrease oxidative stress resistance but prolong chronological lifespan of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae // 3rd Ukrainian-Polish Weigl Conference [“Microbiology on Service for Human”], (Odesa, 14-17 September, 2009): Abstracts. Odessa: Odesa National I.I. Mechnykov University, 2009. P. 72-73.
- Bayliak M. Influence of R. rosea extracts on lifespan of yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae // ХІІ Congress of Society of Microbiologists of Ukraine (Uzhorod, May 25-30, 2009): Abstracts, Uzhorod: Patent, 2009. P. 359.
- Bayliak М.М., Semchyshyn Н.M., Lushchak V.I. Relationships between activities of the protective enzymes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae cells under hydrogen peroxide induced stress // Taras Shevchenko Kyiv National University, 2nd Ukrainian Congress for Cell Biology. Kyiv (Ukraine), 2007. P. 50.
- Bayliak М., Semchyshyn Н., Lushchak V. Possible accumulation of non-active molecules of catalase and superoxide dismutase in Saccharomyces cerevisiae under mild oxidative stress // 6th Parnas conf. Krakow (Poland): Acta Biochim. Polon. Vol. 54, N2. 2007. P. 31.
- Bayliak М.М. The role of catalase in Saccharomyces cerevisiae adaptation to hydrogen peroxide in the middle exponential phase of growth // The 9th Ukranian Biochemical Congress. Kharkiv (Ukraine), 2006. P. 98.
- Abrat О.B, Bayliak М.М. The role of antioxidant systems in the adaptation of yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae to stress conditions (in Ukrainian) // The 9th Ukranian Biochemical Congress. – Kharkiv (Ukraine), 2006. P. 93.
- Bayliak М.М., Abrat О.B. The enzyme activities in exponential-phase acatalaseamic Saccharomyces cerevisiae cells under Н2О2-stress // Ivan Franko Lviv National University, First International conference of students and postgraduate students “The Youth and Progress in Biology”. Lviv (Ukraine), 2005. P. 3.