OLEKSANDRA B. ABRAT ( CV_Abrat_engl.2020)
Associate Professor, Ph.D., Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology,
Work address: Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University, 57 Shevchenko str., Ivano-Frankivsk, 76018, Ukraine
ІІ. PERSONAL INFORMATION
Ukrainian, married, born May 16, 1983
Languages: Ukrainian, Russian, English (professional working proficiency)
Mechanisms of defense of yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae against weak acid stress [in Ukrainian], defended in Scientific Council D 76.06.051 at Yurij Fed’kovych Chernivtsi National University, Ukraine (October, 2009). Supervisor – D. Sc., Ph.D., Prof Lushchak V.I., Head of Department of Biochemistry PNU.
Role catalases in protection of yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae from oxidative stress [in Ukrainian], September 2004-May 2005. Supervisor – D. Sc., Ph.D., Prof Lushchak V.I., Head of Department of Biochemistry PNU.
ІV. TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- 2018-present Associate Professor, Biochemistry and Biotechnology Dept., PNU.
- 2007-2017 Assistant of Professor, Biochemistry Dept., PNU.
- Immunology, general course (lectures & practice, 2018– present, PNU);
- Immune mechanisms, special course for masters in biochemistry (lectures & practice, 2015–2017, PNU);
- Molecular endocrinology, special course for bachelors in biochemistry (lectures & practice, 2014– present, PNU);
- Biochemistry, general course (lectures & practice, 2008– present, PNU);
- Microbiology, general course (lectures & practice, 2008– present, PNU);
- Virology, general course (lectures & seminars, 2008–2011 2016– present, PNU);
- Biochemistry of adaptations, masters in biology (seminars, 2007–2008, PNU);
- Molecular biology, general course (seminars, 2007–2008, PNU)
V. PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE / TRAINING / SCHOLARSHIP:
- 2019: Research Assistant, Kielanowski Institute of Animal Physiology and Nutrition, Jablonna, Poland.
- 2009–present: Research Assistant, Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology PNU;
- 2005–2008: Postgraduate student, Department of Biochemistry, PNU;
- 2007: Laboratory of Microbiology, Faculty of Biochemistry, Biophysics and Biotechnology, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland.
Training / scholarship
- Internship: “Testing the stability of enteric coating delay release ALLN-346 tablets along gastrointestinal tract in fed and fasted state, ALLN-346 PK study in the gut” (2019, Lund University, Lund, Sweden);
- PolLASA courses on proper breeding, maintenance, and usage of laboratory animals (2019, Polish laboratory animal science association, Warsaw, Poland);
- Theoretical training (total credits 2 ECTS) “Perspectives in Biomedicine with a Focus on Cancer Immunotherapy” (2019, DAAD, Ivano-Frankivsk, Ukraine);
- The Queen Jadwiga Fund (2013, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland);
- The Queen Jadwiga Fund (2007, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland)
VI.CURRENT AREAS OF INTEREST
- Metabolic syndrome and obesity
- Antioxidant, adaptogenic, antiglycemic, stress-protective, and geroprotective effects of natural products und drugs
- Oxidative stress and antioxidants
Preparation of tissue and cell extracts, enzyme activities assays, measurement of content of proteins, carbohydrates and lipids; measurement of major marker of oxidative stress, blood chemistry and blood enzymes tests; leukocyte formula and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA); fluorometric analysis of fluorescein extrusion; light microscopy, cultivation of microorganisms, isolation of microbial cultures, study of physiologic-biochemical properties of microorganisms.
VIII. PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
- Ukrainian Biochemical Society
- Ukrainian Society of Cell Biology
- Society of Microbiologists of Ukraine
- Jury member of National Biological Olympiads
- Jury member of National Tournament for Young Biologists
- Activity manager of Organizing Committee and Lecturer at Carpathian Summer School in Biochemistry held annually at Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, PNU
- Member of Organizing Committee and Lecturer at Autumn School for Young Biochemists held annually at Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, PNU.
- Articles – 13
- Abstracts – 23
- Teaching works – 16
- Interplay between diet-induced obesity and oxidative stress: Comparison between Drosophila and mammals / Bayliak, M. M., Abrat, O. B., Storey, J. M., Storey, K. B., & Lushchak, V. I.// Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part A: Molecular & Integrative Physiology. – 2019. – Vol. 228, P. 12–18.
- High amylose starch consumption induces obesity in Drosophila melanogaster and metformin partially prevents accumulation of storage lipids and shortens lifespan of the insects / Abrat Oleksandra B., Storey Janet M., Storey Kenneth B., Lushchak Volodymyr I. // Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part A: Molecular & Integrative Physiology. – 2018. – Vol. 215, P. 55–62.
- Abrat O., Diduch J. Influence of dietary yeast restriction on pathological changes in the body of the fruit fly under high consumption of amylose starch // Ukrainian journal of medicine, biology and sport – 2017. – Vol. 4, N 6. – P. 148–154.
- Abrat O. Influence of amylose starch on development and lifespan of fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster // Journal of Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University. Vol. 2, No. 1 (2015), 100–106.
- Аcetate but not propionate induces oxidative stress in bakers’ yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae / Semchyshyn H., Abrat O., Miedzobrodzki J., Inoue Y., Lushchak V. // Red. Report. – 2011. – Vol. 16, N 1. – P. 1–9.
- Pdr12p-dependent and -independent fluorescein extrusion from baker’s yeast cells / V. Lushchak, O. Abrat, J. Międzobrodzki, H. Semchyshyn // Acta biochimіca polonica. – 2008. – Vol. 55, N 3. – P. 595–601.
- Acid stress in yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae / Abrat O.B., Semchyshyn H.M., Lushchak V.I. [in Ukrainian] // Ukr. Biochem. J. 2008. 80 (6), P. 19–31.
- Fluorescein transport and antioxidant systems in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae under acid stress / Abrat O.B., Semchyshyn H.M., Międzobrodzki J., Lushchak V.I. [in Ukrainian] // Ukr. Biochem. J. 2008. 80 (3), P. 70-77.
- Acid stress increases the activity of superoxide dismutase and catalase in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae / Abrat O., Semchyshyn H., Lushchak V. [in Ukrainian] // Ukr. Biochem. J. 2007. 79 (2), P. 17-23.
- Survival and antioxidant defense of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae under starvation and oxidative stress / Bailyak M., Abrat O., Semchyshyn H., Lushchak V. [in Ukrainian] // Ukr. Biochem. J. 2005. 77 (2), P. 162-165.
- Survival and antioxidant defense of Esherichia coli in response to alloxan exposure / Abrat O., Semchyshyn H., Lushchak V. [in Ukrainian] // Ukr. Biochem. J. 2005. 77 (2), P. 123-129.
- Effect of alloxan and hydrogen peroxide on yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae survival / Abrat O., Markovych O., Lohaza L. [in Ukrainian] // Newsletter of Precarpathian University. Ivano-Frankivsk. 2004. P. 5-9.
- Effect of different oxygen levels on the growth of Esherichia coli strains MC4100, GS071 and GS047 / Demyanchuk Yu., Abrat O. [in Ukrainian] // Newsletter of Precarpathian University. Ivano-Frankivsk. 2003. P. 130-137.